Announcement Date: October 11, 2012
Siobhán Finn, the project director of Cork Innovates, spoke at the 2012 EU Committee of the Regions Open Day in Brussels. She was a member of a panel discussing “Smart specialisation and entrepreneurial discovery – The role of the business community.”
Other panel members included:
- Johannes Hahn – Commissioner for Regional Policy
- Luc van den Brande – Vice President of the Committee of the Regions
- Francois Lesage – CFO of Masthercell
- Markku Markula – Member & Rapporteur CoR
- Laurent Coyon – CEO if Savimex
- Ward Mosmuller – Director of Public Affairs DSM
- Christian Saublens – Eurada
This workshop presented and discussed the concept of smart specialisation with a particular focus on:
- How regions can contribute to fostering entrepreneurial discovery process
- How companies/ businesses can benefit from and be involved in such processes.
The OPEN DAYS – European Week of Regions and Cities is an annual four-day event during which cities and regions showcase their capacity to create growth and jobs, implement European Union cohesion policy, and prove the importance of the local and regional level for good European governance. As the key event on EU Regional Policy, it welcomes some 6,000 participants in October each year (local, regional, national and European decision-makers and experts) for more than 100 workshops and debates, exhibitions and networking opportunities.